Connect with us

World NDTV

Nanny Drowned Baby By Pouring Milk Down Her Throat, Convicted Of Murder

A judge found the nanny guilty of child abuse and second-degree murder in Maryland, US

Influence Salubi was at work when he got the call from the nanny telling him that something was wrong.

His 8-month-old daughter had been happy and healthy when he had left the house hours earlier but when he rushed home, she was lifeless. Her feet were cold. Her arms went limp. Milk poured out of her nose and mouth.

“What did you do?! What happened?!” Salubi recalled screaming to the nanny before trying to suck out the liquid streaming from his child’s face.

“You left home with a live baby and come home with a dead baby,” Salubi said in court recalling the day his daughter Enita died. “It’s not something I can forget.”

Salubi shook with anger and grief as he testified in the trial of Oluremi Adeleye, who prosecutors accused of fatally force-feeding Enita because the crying child roused the nanny from a nap.

Adeleye, 73, was convicted Monday after a judge found her guilty of child abuse and second-degree murder in Prince George’s County, Maryland, Circuit Court. Adeleye declined a trial by jury and opted to have a judge weigh her case.

During a week of testimony, prosecutors argued that Adeleye unscrewed the lid of Enita’s baby bottle and poured nearly eight ounces of milk down the child’s throat in less than 30 seconds, essentially drowning the girl.

But when she testified in her own defense, Adeleye testified she didn’t mean to hurt the child. Adeleye said she was merely trying to ensure that the baby didn’t go hungry and contended it is customary in her home country of Nigeria to force children to eat.

“I did what I needed to do to make sure the baby had food in the stomach,” the mother of five and grandmother of 10 said through a Yoruba interpreter.

The trial took place in the week Enita Salubi would have turned 3. Arguments centered on whether Adeleye acted cruelly and knew that forcing the child to eat in the manner she did would result in the girl’s death.

The girl died Oct. 24, 2016, while in Adeleye’s care, with the incident captured on video by a camera.

Footage aired in court showed the baby bouncing in a walker, pulling on the nanny’s dress and patting her leg as the nanny was lying on a couch. After a few minutes, Adeleye gets up from the couch and tries to give Enita a bottle, the footage showed.

Eventually, Adeleye removes the nipple and lid from the bottle and appears to pour the milk into the baby’s mouth as the baby squirms. The 8-ounce bottle, which was nearly full, was drained in less than half a minute, testimony showed. The baby continued to wriggle in Adeleye’s arms the video showed, before she falls to the ground. Adeleye picks up the child up and attempts to give her more liquid from a second bottle, according to the video.

“She was getting her to shut up by pouring down the milk,” Prince George’s County Assistant State’s Attorney Artemis Moutsatsos said at trial.

The video eventually shows Enita going limp like a doll with Adeleye rocking the baby for minutes, trying to make her alert and wiping the girl’s face as her head flops back and forth.

Adeleye and her lawyers said she was “cup feeding” the child. Her defense described cup feeding as placing one’s hand to a child’s mouth and pouring liquid into the hand to give the child food when they don’t want to eat but need feeding.

The defense called relatives of Adeleye as witnesses, who testified she had cared for their children with no problems and that “cup feeding” – pouring liquid in the hand bit by bit – was common in Nigeria.

Adeleye’s attorney Douglas Wood argued that Enita’s death was a “tragic accident” and there was no criminal conduct.

Wood argued that this was not a case of child abuse, which legally requires a finding that “cruel or inhumane treatment or malicious acts” occurred. Woods said his client was merely trying to feed the girl.

“All she wanted to do was feed the child,” Wood said. “She wanted to make sure the baby was healthy and the baby was well-fed.”

Adeleye was initially charged under her married name of Oluremi Oyindasola. Prince George’s CountyCircuit Court Judge Karen Mason found Adeleye guilty of all the charges against her – second-degree murder, second-degree child abuse and child abuse resulting in death.

In announcing the conviction, Mason noted that Adeleye lied to homicide detectives during a recorded interview about how she fed the child. Adeleye at first denied removing the lid of the bottle to feed the baby and then later admitted to unscrewing the cap after a detective told her there was video of what happened, testimony showed. The lying “demonstrates a consciousness of guilt,” said Mason, who also said the nanny’s actions were “cruel and inhumane.”Adeleye’s defense said that much of the milk ran down the nanny’s dress and down the child’s shirt. But the judge said emergency responders testified that milk came out of the baby’s nose and mouth with each of the 20 chest compressions they administered. The judge also said the child’s father testified to sucking milk out of his daughter’s face.

Adeleye “disregarded any signs of any distress” the child showed as her arms and legs flailed while being fed.

Wood declined to comment on the case after the trial.

Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Aisha N. Braveboy said the camera played a key role in securing a conviction.

“You have two loving, caring parents who did everything right,” Braveboy said. “They interviewed the sitter, they got references and they did their homework and research by all accounts . . . but she abused this young child and the reason we were able to prove it is because the parents had the foresight to install a camera.”

Nikia Porter, Enita’s mother, said her family misses their “beauty,” who was always smiling and laughing. Porter and her husband both testified and sat through the trial, sometimes in tears as video of their baby going lifeless replayed over and over in court.

The day before the trial ended – what would have been Enita’s third birthday – Porter pulled out a white candle left over from her daughter’s celebration from two years ago. A photo of her child smiling in a pink onesie stared back at her as the flame burned.

“I lit the candle,” Porter said, “and prayed that justice would prevail.”

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)







Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World NDTV

French Police Hit With Poo Bombs At “Yellow Vest” Protests

Saturday marked the 16th straight weekend of “yellow vest” demonstrations in France since November.

France: 

French police are facing a new form of weapon during “yellow vest” protests — bags of fecal matter thrown bomb-like by demonstrators.

On Saturday “bags filled with faeces were thrown at police and exploded. Three policemen were soaked through with it,” Rudy Manna from the Alliance police trade union in the southern port city of Marseille told AFP.

One policeman also suffered an elbow injury when hit by “a poop-filled projectile”, Marseille police headquarters said.

Similar incidents took place in the southern city of Montpellier, police trade union representatives said.

Police said there had been calls on social media ahead of Saturday’s demonstrations for demonstrators to arm themselves with ‘Caca-tovs’ — after Molotov cocktails but filled with “caca”, the French term for poo.

“The policemen were deeply humiliated,” Manna said, adding that none of the perpetrators, hidden in a crowd of about 1,000 demonstrators in Marseille, had been identified.

Saturday marked the 16th straight weekend of “yellow vest” demonstrations in France since November, which have often seen security forces targeted with stones and other projectiles. 

Authorities said nearly 40,000 people took part.

A total of 11 people have died during the demonstrations which began over fuel taxes but mushroomed into a revolt by people in rural and small-town France against French President Emmanuel Macron.

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)







Source link

Continue Reading

World NDTV

Weeks After Ban Announcement, Hafiz Saeed’s Outfits Still Operate In Pakistan

Hafiz Saeed’s Jaamat-ud-Dawa had been kept on watchlist of the Pakistan’s interior ministry. (Reuters)

New Delhi: 

 

Mumbai terror attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed-led Jamaat-ud-Dawa and its wing Falah-e-Insaniat Foundation have not been banned by Pakistan despite its announcement about 14 days ago. The two terror outfits continue to be only in the list of groups under watch, according to Pakistan government’s National Counter Terrorism Authority (NCTA).

On February 21, Pakistan government had announced that it had banned the JuD and FIF, amid intense global pressure to rein in the terror groups following the Pulwama terror attack in which 40 CRPF soldiers lost their lives.

“This implies that Pakistan has lied on the ban on Jud and FIF. In fact, it has just altered the date of the watch list placement to fool the world,” a senior security official said.

A spokesperson of Pakistan’s Interior Ministry had said on February 21 that the decision to ban these two groups was taken during a meeting of the National Security Committee (NSC) chaired by Prime Minister Imran Khan.

“It was decided during the meeting to accelerate action against proscribed organisations,” the spokesperson had said in a statement.

“It was further decided that Jamat-ud-Dawa and Falah-e-Insaniat Foundation be notified as proscribed organizations by the Ministry of Interior,” he added.

According to officials, JuD’s network includes 300 seminaries and schools, hospitals, a publishing house and ambulance service.

The US Department of the Treasury has designated its chief Hafiz Saeed as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist, and the US, since 2012, has offered a $10 million reward for any information.

The NCTA has so far banned 69 terror groups. A sizeable number of these groups are based in Balochistan, Gilgit-Baltistan and the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA).







Source link

Continue Reading

World NDTV

British PM Theresa May’s Lawyer Seeks Legal Fix To The Brexit Riddle

Ms May promised to seek “legally binding changes” to the Withdrawal Agreement.

LONDON: 

Prime Minister Theresa May’s top lawyer will try to clinch a Brexit compromise with the European Union this week in a last ditch bid to win over rebellious British lawmakers before crunch votes that could delay the divorce for three months.

The United Kingdom is due to leave the EU on March 29 but Ms May is hoping to win over at least 115 more British lawmakers by agreeing a legal addendum with the EU on the most controversial part of the deal – the so called Irish border backstop.

Concerns about the backstop, an insurance policy aimed at preventing a return to hard border controls between EU member Ireland and British-ruled Northern Ireland, helped prompt lawmakers to reject Ms May’s deal on Jan. 15 by 432 to 230 votes.

Attorney General Geoffrey Cox, Britain’s top government lawyer, is due back in Brussels on Tuesday and will seek legally binding changes to the Irish border backstop.

“The attorney general continues with his work to ensure we get legally-binding changes to ensure that we are not locked in the backstop,” Communities Secretary James Brokenshire said. “The negotiations are at a critical and sensitive point.”

Brokenshire said the aim was to address lawmakers’ main concern: that Britain could be trapped in the backstop – and thus EU rules – indefinitely.

As Brexit goes down to the line, investors are watching to see if Ms May can win over enough lawmakers to her deal: if she cannot, then the exit date is almost certain to be delayed by lawmakers eager to avoid a potentially disorderly no-deal exit.

Ms May promised to seek “legally binding changes” to the Withdrawal Agreement, though the EU has refused to reopen the draft treaty. Parliament will vote on her tweaked deal by March 12.

If it rejects the deal, lawmakers will have a vote on whether to leave without a deal and then on whether to delay Brexit, probably by a few months until the end of June.

LEGAL FIX

In a bid to win over opposition Labour Party lawmakers, Ms May will on Monday set out plans for a 1.6 billion pound ($2.11 billion) fund to help to boost economic growth in Brexit-supporting communities.

The Labour Party’s finance spokesman, John McDonnell, said the fund was “Brexit bribery”.

“This towns fund smacks of desperation from a government reduced to bribing Members of Parliament to vote for their damaging flagship Brexit legislation,” he said.

As Ms May seeks to win over lawmakers, a group of prominent Brexit rebels set out the changes they want to see to her agreement in return for their support: it must be legally binding, clear and set out an exit route.

But the Daily Telegraph newspaper said Cox had abandoned attempts to secure a hard time-limit or unilateral exit mechanism for the backstop.

The EU’s chief negotiator Michel Barnier said on Friday that the bloc was ready to give Britain more guarantees that the backstop was only intended to be temporary and used for a “worst-case scenario”.

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)







Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright Otimenews 2018. All rights reserved.