Connect with us

Sports NDTV

CoA To Look Into Virat Kohli’s ‘Leave India’ Video Controversy

The Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators (CoA) said on Thursday that they would look into the controversial video in which Indian skipper Virat Kohli can be seen lambasting a fan to go abroad for not supporting the Indian team. “The Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators (CoA) will look into the matter,” a source told ANI. The video is doing rounds on social media and Kohli is getting slammed by fans for his comments. The promotional video was recorded by Kohli for his newly-launched application on his birthday on November 5. 

Kohli was seen reading out messages of a user who had written, “He (Virat Kohli) is an over-rated batsman. Nothing seems special in his batting. I enjoy watching English and Australian batsmen more than these Indians.”

A fuming Kohli, while reacting to it, said “I don’t think you should live in India. Go and live somewhere else. Why are you living in our country and loving other countries? I don’t mind you not liking me. I don’t think you should live in our country and like other things. Get your priorities right.”

The cricketing fraternity also criticized the skipper for making such bizarre comments. Cricket commentator Harsha Bhogle in his tweet wrote, “Virat Kohli’s statement is a reflection of the bubble that most famous people either slip into or are forced into. The voices within it are frequently those that they wish to hear. It is a comfortable bubble and that is why famous people must try hard to prevent it from forming.”

“That is also why contrary opinions are frowned upon. Power and fame tend to attract those people who agree with you and reinforce your opinion because they benefit from proximity to fame and power,” Bhogle added.

Meanwhile, economist and senior BJP leader Subramanian Swamy, backed Kohli and said, “What is wrong if Virat Kohli tells a questioner (who tells him that he enjoys watching foreign cricketers more that Indian cricketers) that he should migrate abroad? Both have freedom of speech. But media is slamming Virat Kohli only.”






Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports NDTV

Delhi High Court Seeks CBI Response To Wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s Plea

Delhi High Court Seeks CBI Response To Wrestler Narsingh Yadav

Narsingh Yadav’s had filed a plea seeking to expedite investigation into his complaint related to doping. © PTI


The Delhi High Court on Monday pulled up the CBI and asked the probe agency to file a response to wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s plea seeking to expedite investigation into his complaint related to doping filed ahead of 2016 Rio Olympics. Narsingh Yadav had tested positive for a banned substance ahead of the Rio Olympics and was debarred from representing India at the Rio Games. Thereafter, Narsingh Yadav filed a complaint alleging that his food had been spiked. Claiming that after his several representations to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to complete the probe went unheeded, he moved the high court seeking speedy disposal of his complaint.

Justice Najmi Waziri observed that Narsingh Yadav had lodged the complaint after the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) upheld the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)’s decision not to give a clean chit to the wrestler in the doping matter.

The court pulled up the CBI for not completing its probe into the matter and asked what the probe agency was doing for the past two-and-a-half years.

The court directed the CBI to look into the matter keeping in mind that sportspersons have a “short career”, especially in sports like wrestling and boxing.

CBI counsel Ripudaman Singh Bhardwaj told the court that the probe agency has to question members of the CAS panel and the scientists involved in the decision-making process who are foreign nationals. The investigation agency is sending requests to question them through diplomatic channels, he told the court.

The court also asked the CBI to file a report detailing how the agency has pursued the matter and listed the matter for February 1.







Source link

Continue Reading

Sports NDTV

Cristiano Ronaldo Refused Special Treatment For Madrid Tax Fraud Hearing

Cristiano Ronaldo will have to enter a Madrid courthouse on foot on Tuesday after he was refused special treatment, officials at the court where he will appear for tax fraud said. According to a court document dated January 18 and unveiled on Monday, the 33-year-old Juventus forward and former Real Madrid player was denied special security measures that would have allowed him to avoid walking past journalists and curious onlookers. The court session will start at 9:50 am time (0850 GMT) and a spokesman said Ronaldo could be sentenced on the same day or in coming days.

Ronaldo is expected to be given a hefty fine after Spanish tax authorities and the player’s advisors made a deal to settle claims he hid income generated from image rights when he played for Real Madrid.

The five-time world player of the year spent nine trophy-laden years at Real Madrid.

The president of the court in northern Madrid, Juan Pablo Gonzalez-Herrero, said in the court document that he had refused Ronaldo the special measures because despite his “great fame,” he won’t “compromise security” when he walks up the stairs to the courthouse.

That means Ronaldo will not be able to drive into a court car park away from the cameras, as he had requested.

His request to appear via video conference was also denied.

The deal reached between Ronaldo’s lawyers and Spanish tax authorities mean the player will be fined 18.8 million euros ($21.4 million) and given a 23-month prison sentence which he will not have to serve.

Sentences of up to two years are generally not enforced in Spain for first-time offenders in non-violent crimes.

The judge at the hearing will pass the final sentence.






Source link

Continue Reading

Sports NDTV

Australian Open: Drained Novak Djokovic “Not Feeling So Great” After Grind Past Daniil Medvedev

“I didn’t feel so great, you know, in the last 20 minutes of the match,” Djokovic told reporters.

“So we’ll see tomorrow how the body reacts, but I’m confident I can recover and I can be ready for next one,” he said.

“It was just, you know, a little bit of fatigue, a little bit of back. Nothing major. But there are a couple of things that have surfaced,” said the 14-time Grand Slam champion.

“It was kind of a cat-and-a-mouse game for most of the match.

“We had rallies of 40, 45 exchanges. That’s why I think it was physically exhausting.

‘Draining match’

“His backhand is very, very solid. He didn’t give me much from that side, but, you know, you can’t always play on the forehand.

“You have to open up the court and try to be patient and construct the point.”

The 31-year-old Serb crucially saved three break points at 1-2, 0-40 in the pivotal third set to break the tenacious 22-year-old’s resolve.

“Even though it was three sets to one, it seems like a five-set match, really,” said Djokovic.

“It was draining physically a lot, because, you know, you just could not rely on the one-two punch tactics.”

Djokovic reached his 43rd Grand Slam quarter-final to stay on course for a record seventh Australian Open title, but will next have to conquer marathon man Nishikori.

The Japanese number one was in trouble at two sets down before winning a third five-setter in four matches to get past Spain’s Pablo Carreno Busta.

“Congratulations to him for fighting back from two sets to love down and break down. He’s a fighter,” said Djokovic.

“He’s a very talented player. One of the quickest players on the tour. You know, hard worker. I have lots of respect for him.”

The Australian Open is Djokovic’s most successful major and a seventh crown would put him clear of six-times champion Roger Federer, who was eliminated on Sunday, and Australian great Roy Emerson, whose six wins all came before the Open era.

Victory at this year’s Australian Open would be the Serb’s 15th in Grand Slams, putting him third on the all-time winner list — one ahead of American great Pete Sampras, but behind Rafael Nadal’s 17 titles and Federer’s 20.

It would be his third major in a row after winning Wimbledon and the US Open and set him up for a crack at the “Novak Slam”.

The French Open comes next and victory at Roland Garros would mean he holds all four majors.






Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

© Copyright Otimenews 2018. All rights reserved.